OVERVIEW AND QUALIFICATIONS
This course is a continuing education certification course for certified divers. It is an enjoyable program of continued supervised experience designed to introduce divers to a variety of diving activities and to be taught entirely in an open water setting. Upon successful completion of this course, graduates are considered competent to engage in open water diving activities and the areas dived approximate those of training. This course is appropriate for divers who:
- Desire additional training.
- Have moved from one diving area to another and desire local orientation.
- Do not have, but wish to obtain, NAUI certification.
- Desire orientation to a variety of diving sites and conditions.
The Advanced Scuba Diver course is for certified divers who desire additional training or orientation to a variety of diving sites and conditions. Divers must be a minimum of 10 years of age, in good health and must be previously certified as a NAUI Scuba Diver or equivalent.
After becoming a certified NAUI Advanced Scuba Diver, individuals should enroll in a NAUI Master Diver or NAUI Rescue Scuba Diver or NAUI First Aid course to develop additional expertise and comfort in the water.
Open Water Dives: 6 dives
- Age. Minimum is 15 years by the water phase of the course. (Junior certification for ages 10-14 years is allowed. See “Policies Applying to All Courses: Age, Junior Certification.”)
- Certification/Experience/Knowledge. Certification as a NAUI Open Water Scuba Diver or the equivalent is required. The instructor is to ensure adequate student knowledge and capability before any open water training and shall use skill or other evaluations to do so. One open water dive (which does not count toward the minimum number of dives required for the course) may be used as a screening and evaluation dive. This is not required when the student’s diving proficiencies are well known to the instructor.
- Equipment. Students shall furnish and be responsible for the care and maintenance of their own diving equipment. The instructor shall initially assist the student in checking all student gear to ensure it is adequate and in proper working order.